Setting up MediaWiki (WAMP)

Set up MediaWiki this morning. It was the usual pain-in-the-ass config file hell that every Unixy thing always is :) (bitchy winblows users!). So… here’s what I had to do to get it running on XP Pro.

I followed these very good instructions to get WAMP up (Windows, Apache, MySql, PHP). Worked like a charm with one exception. I had to run the following from mysql command prompt for each of the user accounts before anything worked between php, mysql and apache:

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ‘some_user’@’some_host’ = OLD_PASSWORD(‘mypass’);

That get’s rid of the “Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client” error.

Note: I set this up in either or mode (IIS or Apache is running, not both, haven’t tried to move Apache to a port yet).

I downloaded the wikipedia distro from sourceforge. I unzipped it to a directory and then created a virtual directory in C:\Apache2\conf\httpd.config (just at the bottom of the file) to point to the new directory… something like this:


Alias /dev "C:/dev"
<Directory "/dev">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews ExecCGI
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

I then nav’d to the wiki index like http://localhost/dev/mediawiki/index.php and followed the setup directions and it failed after creating the wikiuser account. I did the user/password hack mentioned above, re-ran it, and everything worked.

This is a simplified reduction of the steps I did… since I’d never done any of this before (I’m a veteran windows programmer… just starting to get into the linux side of things) I did half these steps 10 times before getting them right and it took me 3 hours… but, hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

Also – good, free PHP IDE is Maguma